Atlus has announced Catherine: Full Body for Playstation 4 and Playstation Vita. The title is being developed by Studio Zero, the studio led by Persona 5 director Katsura Hashino.
Catherine is an action puzzle game released for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in 2011. It follows the story of Vincent, a 32 year-old man who cheats on his fiancée Katherine with a woman named Catherine, and is desperately trying to survive while suffering from nightmares that come as a result of his actions. Catherine: Full Body will feature a “third Catherine” whose personality and aura seem to be quite different from the previous two, as well as new scenes with Katherine and Catherine.
Here is everything we know so far:
- Development is a collaborative effort between Atlus and Studio Zero.
- The third “Catherine” is named Rin (voiced by Aya Hirano). She is a pianist at Vincent’s regular bar, and has an exceedingly honest and gentle personality. Rin’s involvement in the story will introduce new branches for the other two “Catherines.”
- A large amount of new endings, episodes, anime movies, and sexy events are being added.
- The subtitle “Full Body” was chosen from the wine term, and exemplifies an even richer and somehow more erotic new Catherine.
- A wide range of difficulties and convenient systems are being prepared.
- There is a new mechanic where you move blocks where multiple are connected. There is also a new mode.
- There are online battles.
- There is cross-save support.
- The idea and direction of the Atlus-style traditional fantasy RPG has been solidified.
- There is a feeling among the studio that “something interesting can certainly be made.”
- While talented individuals have been recruited for the project, there still are not enough programmers and designers.
- In the sense of fusing the creativity assembled by the resonance of Atlus and Studio Zero, it is important to create Catherine: Full Body together. The thought is that this will have a positive influence on Project Re Fantasy.
- Catherine: Full Body and Project Re Fantasy are of different genres at first glance, but are connected by their developers.
- The new “Catherine,” Rin, is described as a healing existence that assists the nightmare-ridden Vincent and shows him new values. While her speech and conduct give off an aura of considerably lacking in common, she is a very straightforward and gentle character.
- The scenario is mainly being made by full-time staff.
- The wide range of difficulties and convenient systems being prepared will enable people who are interested in the story to enjoy the game until the very end.
- In puzzle action stages, there is a new mechanic where you have to think about not only how to move cube-shaped blocks, but also blocks in a state where multiple are connected.
- You can switch between new and traditional modes during the story.
- There was unexpected excitement for the competitive mode overseas, so online battles are being included.
- There is more than one new ending.
- Development is currently 50 percent complete.
- A release date and price are still to be announced.